Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Comfort food for the Snowtorious B.I.G.

The Internet has already flickered in and out a few times tonight... luckily the power has stayed on!

Although the weather outside is frightful, my family is so delightful!  Both children took great naps today, Peter worked from home, and Basia dog had a fabulous walk in the snow!  Peter was nice enough to take her out... he put his ski goggles on, grabbed the indestructible camera, and off they went! 


My job was dinner tonight, and with the weather being the way it was, tonight was all about comfort food that we could share together as a family.  First up:  Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese.  Deeeeelicous!  We added a little bit of bacon in for the smoky saltiness, and it was a crowd pleaser.  I could easily see pulling the mom thing and adding a bag of frozen mixed vegetables into it to make it packed with even more veggie goodness.
After that, I thought it would be a good time to try a new dessert.  I read about these Chocolate, Peanut Butter and Caramel Club Bars over at PickyPalate.com, and knew I had to try them out.  Don't you want to just lick the screen at this picture?

I changed the peanut butter to butterscotch... Peter's not the biggest peanut butter fan (?!?), so I adapted her recipe to fit our needs.  My caramel didn't come out nearly as well as hers did... it was really gritty.  However, the end result tasted good anyway and Peter told me they were worth trying again. 

I'm so looking forward to tomorrow.  Peter is staying home again, and hopefully the snow will stop long enough, the weather won't be too cold, and Kayla can nap long enough that we can take the Little Man out in the snow for a good time.  I'm hoping to at least take the indestructible camera out for a bit tomorrow, and finally make those chicken nuggets I've been talking about. 

How are you surviving the weather?  I hope all your electricity stays on, your Internet stays available, and your hot chocolate supply doesn't run low.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment