Tuesday, February 1, 2011

resolution 2011.

It's February 1, 2011 today. 

February was scaring me a bit this year... let's rewind and see why.

February 15, 2009.  Peter and I were up in Cedarburg, Wisconsin.  We went away for the first time ever for Valentine's Day.  We stayed at a bed & breakfast that didn't have any rooms available besides twin beds.  We were sure we couldn't have kids, and were planning on starting the adoption process that summer.  Maybe it was the wine from the local winery?  Maybe it was the amazing pesto mozzarella sticks?  Most likely, it was the twin beds.  Enter:  Jason Evan Tarnawa, October 16, 2009.

February 16, 2010.  Went to see the wonderful and fabulous Dr. Jahedi because I was weaning Jason, and felt funny.  I had nausea, headaches, and was quite moody.  I wanted to make sure everything was okay before I went back to work.  She checked if I was pregnant.  I wasn't.  We talked a bit about our plan of attack just in case I became pregnant.   February 18, I'm pregnant.  I went back to work pregnant not knowing.  Enter:  Kayla Elyse Tarnawa, November 18, 2010. 

My wonderful, amazing, lovable children are one year, one month, and two days apart.  And at that moment Kayla was born, Jason was 13 months and two days. 

Can you tell why I am petrified of February?  The big joke is that Peter and I can't share a bed, let alone look at each other during the month of February.  My dear friend Paulina offered her couch to Peter or myself for the month.  I was seriously thinking of taking her up on it.  For Peter, of course.  I'd stay home :)

In January, during my 6-week post partum check up, I got to see Dr. Jahedi (did I mention how much I love her?) again, and we talked birth control.  As much as she was instrumental in getting me through my pregnancies, I desperately needed her help in never getting pregnant again.  We talked options.  The pill?  No way.  I'd forget to take it, or at least never take it at the same time.  The patch?  Nope.  The shot?  Nope.  Nuvaring?  I'd be petrified it would fall out or I wouldn't install (yeah, I used the word install) it right.  An IUD?  Now we're talking.

There were two she offered... the first being a copper IUD with no hormone whatsoever.  Bonus:  it would last for 10 years.  Side effect:  heavy regular periods.  Considering I hadn't gotten my period in over two years, and before I was pregnant I'd get it every 2 to 3 months, that didn't sound like fun. 

Enter Mirena.  It lasts 5 years, has some hormone (but not a low dose of estrogen.  I'm not good at low doses of estrogen.  Ask Julie.  And Bob Newhart.)  and makes your periods super light.  Sounded like the perfect choice. 

It's suposed to be inserted by your OB/GYN in the office during your period.  I had scheduled an appointment with Dr. Jahedi for mid February already because we didn't know if I was going to get a period.  When I called the office to reschedule, I learned that she was pregnant (HOORAY!!!!!), and that she wasn't in the office at all this week (BOOOO!!!).  I rescheduled with the doctor I saw in college for Wednesday.  Turned out that would be Snowmageddon.  Luckily, they were able to see me today.

The process wasn't that bad.  There was pressure, and some really funny cramping when it was "installed," but totally worth not taking pills every night.  The doctor said I must have a good pain tolerance beacuse I was able to talk right through the procedure, but after what I've been through the past two years it was nothing.  The best part - it's effective immediately, though I should expect minor cramping and will perhaps spot for a few weeks.   I go back in 6 weeks to get it checked out. 

So, I've officially completed my new year's resolution:  2011 - the year of no new babies.  For the Tarnawa family.  The Augustine's and Dio's... you guys go right ahead.  Gomez's... you too! 

I've given Peter the "Get out of Jail free" card until February 1, 2016.  2016. 

Wanna bet he sees the doctor about a permanent solution on January 31, 2016?  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment